All callouts are different but the overall process will typically follow these steps:
- A call is placed to the 112 / 999 service seeking assistance for an injured or missing person.
- SEMRA receive alerts from An Garda Síochána via a text messaging system.
- The callout officer responds to the request for assistance.
- The appropriate response is identified and agreed between the team, An Garda Síochána and other stakeholders.
- The response is executed and is continually monitored and updated as required. Typically a search and/or rescue will be initiated.
- First Aid may be administered and an evacuation approach agreed.
- The casualty will be evacuated.
- Team members will be debriefed on completion of the evacuation.
- The operation will be stood down.